Tuesday, August 01, 2006

"I hardly ate anything"

Well, as usual, as soon as I publish an article, along comes more information and better ideas about the same subject - this time I'm talking about the note I wrote on "will power".

The message I was after in the "will power" post was that I was just going to have to suck it up, get control of myself, and eat that salad instead of those tasty, high glyceimc index, cheeseburgers and hardroll sandwiches. But of course, that is not really the issue, and I am forever thankful to Charles Platkin for pointing it out to me. [Mr Platkin has a great site called the dietdetective.com which has more great nutrition articles and ideas than you can posssibly read in an afternoon, probably a week of afternoons.]

Anway, Mr Platkin published a column in my local newspaper - "The Westerly Sun" [July 31, 2006] which I can find neither at the Westerly Sun [which has its own great health section] nor on dietdetective.com. So I will have to paraphrase the article:

"... The New England Journal of Medicine [reported] that people attempting to lose weight tend to underestimate the amount they eat by 47%... " In particular 86% of women underestimated how much they ate in a 24 hour study period by an average of 621 calories, and 60% of men underestimated their food intake by an average 581 calories. The American cancer society found only 1% of participants could correctly estimate a portion size when asked to do so.

So there's the problem: I don't keep an accurate, timely, accounting of what I eat outside my home.

When I left that picnic recently, I told my wife "I hardly ate anything, I'm sure I'll be fine when I add it up." Whoops! When I added up those "asprin" burgers, remembered what I really had for seconds, imagined what I had on my plate compared to a tennis ball (a tennis ball = a 1 cup serving, right?), well, I was way over.

And when I left that business meeting lunch, I knew I had eaten "too many" of those hard roll sandwiches, but it wasn't until I got home that I figured I had eaten six of them!

So where am I at? Right back at the Hacker's Diet with my defective "fullness" signals, only this time on a very short term, immediate basis. But it is important to know (or more accurately be reminded) that it's NOT a question of "will power", it's a question of having an accurate idea of how much I have eaten at any given time.

When I'm at home, I fill in my calorie log as I go, and I adjust what I eat as the day progresses - and I really don't have any problem staying within my calorie goals. So it's clear that when I go out I am going to have to keep a running total of what I eat and an estimate of the calories. If I do that I think I may be able to keep control of my calorie intake. Thank goodness it's not a question of "will power" - I don't have any.

Oh yeah, and what does Mr Platkin, the diet detective, recommend: "keep track of everything you eat... even one grape". In other words, a calorie log, what else!?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr F. said...

When I started keeping track of my calores and carbs, I started losing weight again. It has been my salvation, because it has forced me to watch what I eat. For several months, even when I exercised, I couldn't lose weight and began gaining. Now that I am keeping track, I am more mindful. I've also noticed without much effort my daily calorie intake is dropping. I now weigh the meats and cheeses and it has helped.
My wife is doing Nutrisystem now, so she is under the "forced" portion control. Just my two cents...

11:53 PM  
Blogger ReallyTooBig said...

Mr Fat

first, thanks for stopping by, and second, thanks for the comments on tracking your calories and carbs - so many people think it's so very hard to do, yet it's really not, and as you say, the payout far exceeds the effort.

8:04 AM  
Blogger katiebird said...

I know exactly what you mean about eating at 'events.' I've been focused on losing weight for a year now and most of the time I've done pretty well. I was very nervous last December about my brother's wedding, though.

It was a big deal, family coming in from all over the country. 5 or 6 parties. Lots of confusion. And going on for about a week all told...

But it turned out that I brought my camera along to everything. And as I visited, I took photos of everyone. So, except when I was actually sitting down to deliberately eat, I was busy. And it turned out that with people asking me to take their photos ("did you get me with x? How about Y & Z?') I didn't even finish a single meal that week!

Since then, I've carried a camera to every gathering (even the office birthdays.) It might be cheating the system, but it's a surprisingly effective 'diet aid.'

I'm a relatively new visitor and I love your blog. And I just realized that you've added my site to your blogroll -- Thanks!

10:05 AM  
Blogger ReallyTooBig said...

Katiebird

I like the camera angle, so to speak! and I certainly appreciate your comments on the blog - if you ever see something you don't agree with, don't hesitate to post a comment and let me know

enjoyed your site too

Bob

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I wanted to let you know that you can find the full text of "The Power of One" at dietdetective.blogspot.com

It is also currently on the front page of www.dietdetective.com

Hope that helps!

--Kelly from Diet Detective

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home