Friday, July 21, 2006

More on Nutrition

Posted by Picasa
My earlier post today on the Calorie Restriction Society got me thinking about nutrition again, and I came across this fascinating site at the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition. One striking feature is the California Cuisine Pyramid - notable because it has replaced the bottom tier of the pryamid with fruits and vegtables, and moved the grains and whatnot to the second tier - a change that immediately caught my attention as I have noticed lately that my own diet has been a bit sparse on the vegetable side. I was also able to find this handout of recommended servings based on the Calfornia Pyramid (it's for a "healthy college student", but looking it over I can't figure out why a "fat old guy" can't use it too).

In any event, if you look around the UCLA Nutrition Center you will find things like a complete Basic Nutrition lecture series, physican education for treating obese patients (is your doctor doing all he should?), and another close look at vitamins, minerals, and the RDA. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home