Saturday, July 08, 2006

This is Getting Ridiculous

Well tonight, when I finished dinner, I had eaten 2314 calories. That's ridiculous!

That's 2253 calories less than it would take to maintain my current weight, and it's 1044 calories less than it would take to maintain my TARGET weight!

So I forced myself, forced myself, to eat a serving of canned peaches (not even the whole can!) and a banana and that just brought me up to 2450 for the day.

What is going on here?

Was it because yesterday I was starved all day and had to eat a salmon sandiwch at 9:30 so I wouldn't go to bed hungry (total 3113 calories, right on for "lite +" exercise). Is my body really adjusting for that little splurge today?

Is it because my walking intensity is down? Yesterday I only walked in the morning, and today I did both morning and evening walk, but very slowly - why - because the arch in my right foot is killing me and I am trying to baby it. Is my body really adjusting to a slightly less intense exercise program? [But then again ... I am on target for walking 20 miles this week and that is at the high end of moderate activity.]

Is it because a symptom of heart failure is a loss of appetite and I'm losing mine?

I don't know, but today's calorie deficit ended up at 2117 calories, and that's too much. I do not want my body to go into starvation mode. I feel full, I assume it's fat and happy, but a 2117 deficit?

Anway, the long and the short of it is that over the last two weeks I have a calorie deficiency equal to 1 pound every two and a half days. That's about 12 pounds a month! I know that my actual weight at any given moment depends on how much water I am hauling around, but still...

There's one other thing I have been thinking about. I have been looking at those daily calorie deficiencies, I have been thinking about the fact that I am not hungry or otherwise exercising 'will power' to achieve those deficiencies; so I am thinking maybe I should be turning the whole question on end, and asking why I was working so really hard to eat all those calories (about 4500) to maintain my weight at 346 (or whatever). Now what was that all about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home