Friday, August 11, 2006

What Ever Happened to my Diet?

Wife said to me lst night - "Whatever happened to your diet - you used to talk about it all the time, and now I never hear about it? Are you still on it?"

Well, what happened to my diet is...nothing. It's stil there, just plugging along. The heat wave adversely effected the exercise routine, and while walking is fullly recovered, weightlifting and other execises still languish. Back on July 25th I said I would try to replace my diet bread (35 calories/slice) with whole wheat bread (100 calories/slice) because of the glycemic index load.

I was about to say that my calories had gone up a bit since starting the wheat bread, but looking back at my calorie log I see that the increase in calories was not as bad as I thought, and that the days I had trouble keeping calories down to the 3100 level seemed to be associated more with the intense heat wave during that time. Nevertheless, I have gone back to the diet bread, and I feel much more relaxed about eating than when I was using the whole wheat. I guess you might say peace of mind trumps the glycemic index load.

But back to the diet itself - it is no longer the main topic. As I have said before, how I eat now is pretty much how I think I am going to eat for the rest of my life. Sure there are small changes... I have added a small orange to my diet every day because citrus fruits were on the top 12 phytonutrient foods list, and I wasn't eating any. And I have decided that I am not going to buy any more canned soups because I am tired of getting nearly 1800 mgs of salt along with my soup. But the diet per se - the lower calorie intake - that pretty much takes care of itself now, day after day after day... Boring.

1 Comments:

Blogger BornSquishy said...

Thanks for the phytonutrient link!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home