Sunday, August 27, 2006

Obesity - a Social Norm?

A few weeks ago I suggested that one reason obesity was taking off in the US is because it is OK to be fat. Well, there is currently a fascinating article in the Wall Street Jurnal [free to the public] which is actually a debate between two economists regarding the increase in obesity, and whether it is because of exitsing social norms - especially for lower income and non-professional people - or because of historically cheaper food prices and less strenuous physical work requirements.

It was a bit disconcerting to me to be the subject of a debate between two people who could care less about my personal situation. Nevertheless, I think there are a couple of interesting points.

One argument is that both rich and poor people are gaining weight, and that statistically rich people are actually becoming obese at a faster rate than poor people (though from a far lower base). So the argument here is that it is the availbility of food at ever decreasing prices, and the more sedentary nature of the modern work force that is responsible for the gain in weight of the US population.

The other side of the argument is that the poor are mired in rut in which obesity is the social norm and therefore there is little incentive to prevent weight gain or to go through the rigors to lose weight. Furthermore, according to this argument, people in this situation have little aspiration to professional employment where there is established discrimination against obesiy, and thus lack the incentive for weight control that may be more evident in the upwardly mobile individual.

There was also this interesting tidbit: "Changes in social norms about smoking, for example, seem to have made a difference in reducing [the] incidence [of] smoking. Thus, if it's the norm in your social group to be obese, then that is one less reason to do something to either prevent or reverse a very difficult problem."

My own thoughts are that 1) in my personal observations it does seem as of the wealthy are thinner than my more natural milieu; which might be called the lower middle class; 2) and why not - the wealthy can and do shop at Whole Foods etc - eating healthily is expensive; and 3) I still maintain that just speaking up - schools, doctors, friends, whatever - is the single most important thing anyone or any organization can do. [In other words, this is a backhanded way of saying I think there must be a change in social norms regarding overweight.]

In the end I firmly believe that at this point in the campaign against obesity, social norms have (or can have) the biggest effect. Look no further than the complete reversal in smoking norms between 1968 and 2006 and the resulting effect on the number of individuals smoking. But I really recommend that you read the article for yourself and see what the issue of social norms is all about.

3 Comments:

Blogger katiebird said...

I've observed the social norm aspects of obesity...

When I started my current job, I'd just lost 40 pounds. It wasn't easy and I was very proud of it. But at this new place, everyone (nearly) is overweight. I've never, ever seen so many people struggling with such serious weight issues. And everyone (it seems) goes out for lunch everyday.

So I started eating out with my new friends (just to get to know them) and bit by bit, I gained that weight back. I gained back every pound. And I fit right into the group. So many people weigh much more than I did that I hardly felt fat at all when at work.

So it was easy to drift. I don't think I would have snapped back into focus again if it wasn't for the crippling health issues. I just couldn't live like that anymore.

I haven't followed your link, but I will when I get home. Thanks for pointing it out.

10:46 AM  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Interesting corelation between smoking and obesity.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

I hang out with people of all weights.



1. BMI charts are slightly more off and so some people look fat who aren’t. The BMi It’s self is fine they just need to range it to 18 to 27, and by age and sex. Men usually need to be heavier but women in reproductive years need a higher % of body fat. Going by body fat alone won’t work because most people fat % wrong and think the lower the better.
2. People who are fat look to abuse people who are fatter because they are stuck in a “At least I am not as fat as her/him”
3. The poor don’t have access to the fresh produce they need. Stores like save a lot and Aldi have been a help but there needs more good food to be available to the poor. Small kitchens also lead to less cooking meals and family dinners and more processed food.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home