Friday, August 18, 2006

The Times - They Are A Changin' ?

Back on August 3rd, I suggested that obesity would remain an issue until it was no longer considered OK to be fat, until people spoke up, until it became everyone's responsibilty to ensure that "healthy eating" prevailed.

Well, would you believe that it was the state of Arkansas, that hot bed of radical reform, the home of the biggest purveyer of junk food in the world, that stepped up to the plate?

By the simple expedient of weighing all the kids in school and mailing a confidential letter to parents of obese and overweight kids, the state of Arkansas brought the steady increase in the number of obese kids to a screeching halt. All they did, all they did, was say - Hey, it's not OK for your kid to be fat.

The program was promoted by the state's governor who himself lost 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes [yet another "medical event"].

Numerous news stories are out there with slightly different angles: Time, Washington Post, and Reuters are just some examples - many more can be found on news.google.com.

3 Comments:

Blogger BornSquishy said...

Great post....great links! Thanks

7:36 PM  
Blogger katiebird said...

It's nice to see that we can see the effects of change in short periods of time. I liked the linked stories too.

12:29 AM  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

On an unrelated note.....you mentioned on my blog that you "nearly destroyed" your blog trying to add a link. If you ever need a hand adjusting your code I might be able to help. I'm no expert, but I've been learning a lot as I go along. Over the last few weeks I've been tweeking the html code on my blog.

Just email me if I can help.

Cheers

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home