Friday, September 01, 2006

Potholes on the Road to Reduction

Well, I thought I had this all figured out: a convenient "medical event" that scared the heck out of me, years of pre-diet preparation, and a calorie counting scheme that really seemed to work. Then along came August.

The heat wave knocked the heck out of my exercise schedule. And picnics, birthdays, parties - what can I say: I count 7 days in August when I didn't even attempt to fill in (or complete) my calorie log, and 6 days that exceeded 3500 calories, well above my target of 3100 (at which, btw, I feel comfortable). That's almost half the month with out of control eating.

No doubt about it, when I am around food, I eat it. And I can't even blame it on other people: at the various picnics etc I couldn't help but notice that everyone else seemed to eat "normal" amounts - even those few who were overweight themselves.

In spite of all that I am down 1 pound as of today compared to my proud announcement of "Down 41" on July 18th. The only thing I can think of that held it together was the walking. Except for the height of the heat wave when I only walked 11 miles for the week, I managed to get in 18 to 25 miles a week - more than enough to put me in the high activity category (per Nutrition.com.sg),with a theoretical daily maximum of 3800 calories, just enough to offset those high calorie days. Is this "the value of exercise" revisited?

One other thing that might have helped, especially in the last two weeks, is the addition to two to three fish oil capsules a day to my diet per the fish oil article in my side bar.

All in all, I am happy to see August go, and I am hopeful I can return to my regularly controlled eating - but vacation looms ominously on the horizon...

6 Comments:

Blogger BornSquishy said...

I think August is a difficult time for a lot of us...I know it it for me, and it's due to the same reasons that you listed.

1:34 PM  
Blogger katiebird said...

I know exactly what you mean. Exactly. And yesterday when the weather finally broke and it felt like a fresh breeze was blowing through the city, I just took a deep breath and slept on the couch for the first time in a week.

It's like I couldn't even relax while I wasn't doing what I wanted to do.

But tonight -- it's back to the track for a walk.

2:29 PM  
Blogger katiebird said...

Oh, by the way Sir Squishy -- I used your link to get here!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Why not reward yourself for exercise and food journaling with non food prizes.

There will always be summer, birthdays, picnics, christmas, Halloween, thanksgiving. It can be done. I use flex points but maybe you can build like 500 to 1750 extra calories a week into your plan and you can use them for parties or not at all but at the end of the week they are gone.

That way you can split up your weekly party calories. If you gain with them use less but making the plan work for you might make you lose more in the long run.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Well I've finally reached the same weight I was 10 weeks ago. I was amazed at how difficult it's been across the summer.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

If you are looking for more weight loss guide then Fast weight loss blog can be of great help to you.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home